Sunday, December 17, 2017

Christmas (Part 1 of 2)

This is what organizing Christmas looks like in the office. This is what it looked like the day I was putting the gifts into alphabetical order as we had so many, it was chaos. It took me all day from 9 am until 10 pm. (With a few interruptions in between). It was my job to make sure every gift that came in was marked down so we knew who had gifts and who didn't. We have a very diverse culture of missionaries, some from very humble circumstances, and some whose families are not even in contact with them because they have joined the church. We had very generous parents of missionaries send gift cards or extra filled stockings and even other gifts for missionaries that otherwise wouldn't receive anything for Christmas and we have very generous senior missionaries who gave gift cards along with their grown children who heard we needed cards donated. Some of our missionaries families don't even celebrate Christmas. It has been a very eye-opening and humbling experience for me with these good people we are surrounded by here. Our senior missionaries are the cream of the crop and every one of them teach me things every day that I will never forget. It made me realize how spoiled my boys were as missionaries and glad that I always included an extra stocking for their companions.
 

All organized, with an additional 65 bags that were donated by the stake for our missionaries who needed gifts. I wrote names on each tag and added a $25 gift card. By the time it was time for our Mission Christmas party, two days later, I had gone over everything so many times, I was dreaming about it. Then stressing I had missed someone as I had a nagging feeling to keep re-checking my list, which was good as I found one or two. In the end, I only missed one who for some reason was not on the list, but luckily I had an extra gift and card so it was all good! Whew!!


I painted a backdrop for a photo booth we had and here are some of our wonderful missionaries who had a part on the program for the Christmas Devotional before the fun and games of the day. They are Elders Satini, Simons and Paletua. Elder Satini sang a solo in the devotional that made me cry.


President Vidmar and Elder Skankey (above) after their handstand competition which President won. The handstands always draws a crowd and lots of cheering. Such great fun! 

Elder Gray and Elder Canepari (left), he definitely gets the prize for the best Christmas suit! 

President Vidmar (right) at the mission home "posing" for a picture by the Mission Home tree at the Senior Christmas party that we had two days after the mission party with all the missionaries. We always have a wonderful get-together with everyone and the food is always excellent! We always talk about exchanging recipes, I definitely have to get a few favorites before we come home like Sister Vidmar's Pretzel Jello recipe. Our family will love it!

Just look at these desserts!! Makes my mouth water all over again and I probably just gained another 5 pounds just thinking about it.













We have made so many great new friends here who are good, strong, faithful and have the biggest hearts. I feel so blessed to have made friends with such special people. They teach me and help me and are so loving and forgiving. I have a whole new appreciation for all of the people behind the scenes of running a mission, especially the President and his wife. There are so many hours put in. I also have to mention my friend and mentor Sister Horne who is the sweetest, most generous servant of the Lord. She is a volunteer who has been working in the office for about 7 or so years and is on her third mission president. She knows just about everything there is to know about running a mission office, has helped in almost every position, including patiently helps everyone with every question. She has taught me so much and is like a sister to me. We could not do it with out her. She never seeks praise and probably hardly ever gets it. She's amazing!

Brent and I (right) in front of the Nativity at the mission home. Sister Vidmar added a couple of Kangaroos to it. Ha ha, funny! (Click the photo for a better look!)




No comments :

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and welcome your comments!